Use the filter menu to search by country or category and adjust the dates to refine your search!
Have an event or announcement to share with the world? Submit it here.
- This event has passed.
World Ocean Day at New England Aquarium
8 June, 2022
The New England Aquarium is celebrating World Ocean Day on June 8 with activities that bring attention to the importance of protecting our ocean for future generations. People of all ages are invited to Central Wharf to celebrate, learn about, and take action to protect special places in our ocean.
Outside the Aquarium on Central Wharf Plaza, the public can mark World Ocean Day with a variety of free activities:
• “Ask a Scientist” booth – Scientists from the Aquarium’s research institute, the Anderson Cabot Center for Ocean Life, will be on the plaza all day to answer questions about their work protecting our ocean and the whales, sharks, and turtles that live in it. Social media users will also have the opportunity to ask the scientists questions virtually.
• Interactive ocean banner – Guests to Central Wharf can leave their mark in the form of a thumbprint on an ocean banner, acting as a pledge of support for protecting special places in our ocean.
Inside the Aquarium, visitors can take part in:
• Presentations at the top of the Giant Ocean Tank – The Aquarium’s Conservation Learning team will lead short presentations about 30×30, the global initiative to protect 30% of the world’s ocean by 2030.
• Interactive activity on Marine Protected Areas – Educators in the second floor Temperate Gallery will lead an activity focused on migratory species, tracking where they are in the ocean and the importance of protecting key areas to ensure these animals can thrive.
• Educational signage – Signs throughout the main Aquarium building will draw attention to places in our ocean and what makes each special from the viewpoint of various animals.